Sunday, November 16, 2008

5 K Run!!!

So about two months ago we had a sign-up sheet go around church for a 5K run, because fitness is a part of this years Stake theme of 'Preparedness'. I wanted to do something to get in better shape, and I thought this was the perfect opportunity, so I signed up. Well the first month was rough, I charted my trail in the golf course, and got up early to run. I would jog, then walk, then maybe jog again. Around a month ago I come up against a brick wall, I decided that I didn't like running, and that as soon as this 5K run was over I would quit. Well, I kept running, to make it to the 5K but I changed other things. I didn't always run in the morning, some days I didn't run at all, I went swimming (right up till the beginning of November) I also got my phone a memory stick so I could have music and soon I found that running was relaxing and fun. I found that I actually enjoyed it. But more important to me is that it proved to myself that I could do it, even though I thought it was hard at first.

Yesterday was the big Run - here is our map, it was a little confusing at first, but once we started I just followed the arrows and all the people in front of me.

Here I am starting out, ready to go, and then finishing, You can see that my hair went crazy, but what you can't see is that though I lost the red jacket, I was red enough without it! I was completely beat, but I also beat my best time. I was hoping for about 35 minutes, though I had done about 32 before, but I clocked in at 29:05!


Some of my friends from 3rd Ward!

Rosa says next we'll have to do a 1/2 Marathon, but I don't think so! I haven't found I enjoy running that much!

3 comments:

ChrisBCrazy said...

that is awesome! i hate running. but when i do it i feel good about it. i did a 5k and felt amazing about myself after...but i still hate it. lol.

Amanda C said...

Way to go Mary! I want to learn to love running too. I hear it is an addiction once you get used to it. Keep up the good work.

The Clews Crew said...

Hey Mary! It's Kristi (O'Dair) Clews. I found you on Julie's blog and thought I'd say hi. Send me an email at garyzgirl@gmail.com and I'll invite you to my blog. Glad I found you. Hope things are great!