Friday, September 18, 2009

White Mountain Weekend

For a long time Deanna, Nikki and I have been planning a trip up to the White Mountains. We had to push it back a few times and when we finally decided to do it September 11-13 a lot of our friends couldn't go because school was back in session and they were busy... but we went anyway! Friday evening Deanna, Nikki, Daniel, David and I all got in Daniel's parents' minivan and started up the mountain. We got there and made ourselves at home with a warm welcome from Dad and Aunt Louise.

That evening Sara H. came over with her brother Joseph and we played games, talked and some even got in the spa. Finally after a few hours of hanging out we all found a bed and went to sleep. Daniel and David went to the cabin, the girls had rooms and Sara and I pulled out the couch and talked into the night (just like old sleepovers!). I went to bed around 1:30 and woke up around 3:30 when I heard my brother, Dan, and his friend Ty - leaving for an elk hunt. I talked to them a bit because Danielle, Holly and Meta were almost up from Tucson (they went to the institute dance first then drove up). Dan and Ty left, and the girls drove up. I got back to sleep around 4 but was only able to sleep in until 7, when I heard my dad coughing and sneezing, so I got up to talk to him. He left for a Radio thing... and everyone else slowly appeared from bedrooms. We cooked up some waffles, bacon and eggs and hurried through the showers. Sara had to go home (Joseph came back to pick her up) and the rest up us piled in the van for a quick trip to the temple. It was fun for everyone to go to a different temple (we usually go to Mesa, this time we went to Snowflake). It was a beautiful day to go to the temple! We met Aunt Louise there (she works there on Saturday mornings), she had names for me to do. One that I remember was Verlinda Cox, I don't know why but now I want to look her up because her name just stuck out to me. After the the baptisms we walked around outside and took a lot of pictures! Then we got some sandwiches at Araby's and ice cream at Bashas and went to Jon's house.


At the ranch we ate ice cream, rode Besty, got dizzy on the tire swing and took PICTURES!


In the evening we all went back to Dad's where we explored the cabin, and cooked up a BBQ to beat all BBQs. It was so good! And there was so much food: pasta salad, tomato salad, cowboy beans, corn-on-the-cob, hamburgers and gigantic marshmallows for s'mores!

Meta, Holly, Deanna and Danielle all left after dinner. So did the hunters, sadly empty handed. The four of us left went for a drive in Dad's truck to star gaze and spot light. David and Nikki got creative in taking pictures - I didn't even bring my camera!
These are some cool ones David did with long shutter speeds.

After looking at the stars when resumed our hunt for animals only to be pulled over by Fish and Game who had to search our truck for weapons (it isn't legal to spotlight and have a firearm in the car). So we got to talking to the game warden when he cleared us. He gave us a few good places to try for elk. We started that way and found two deer. Once on road 132 (like he told us) we found a small heard of elk as well. I'm glad we saw some animals.

Sunday morning we went to Pinedale ward then headed back to Tucson (not before eating yesterday's left overs and stopping for pictures with the sunflowers in the front field).

We also stopped in the Salt River Canyon for a stretch and some pictures - we thought the car was leaking (it was I guess) but when we stopped in Globe to check again it seemed fine and made it all the way back to Tucson.
It was a lot of fun and we are all planning on another trip again soon - at least one when it snows!

No comments: