Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Day OUT!

March 9, 2009
So I have been listening to Rachel plan her day off for a while and the exciting things she was going to do - I knew I wasn't going to work today but I also knew there was no way I was going to be able to do a grand adventure to Utah or California, I also knew that I wanted out - just to be out and somewhere new and different. I thought of going to Mt. Lemmon I have only been up there once and I didn't drive so I didn't explore - but I also thought of the Chiricahua Mountains to the southeast that I have always wanted to visit. So that is were I went. My original plan was to get up really early and take some really great sunrise pictures. However, I have wanted to donate blood for a long time but haven't been able to mesh schedules, but found out yesterday there was a blood drive at the institute today, starting at 8. I still got up really early - but not on purpose. I had everything ready - all my camera batteries charged, a cooler packed full so I didn't have to buy any food, clothes for all types of weather, etc... I left the house with hours to spare before I had to be at the blood drive, so I headed to one of my favorite Tucson spots, Pima Canyon trail head - I wasn't planning on doing but a little of the trail, so I ate a peaceful breakfast and had a nice little walk, listening to the birds and taking not sunrise pictures but post-rain desert pictures, always fun! I headed to the institute, gave away my blood, and headed out.

I stopped on the I10 after Benson where there are big boulders everywhere. I had seen this place a few weeks before when I went with a few friends to Thatcher for the groundbreaking of the new temple, ever since then I had wanted to come take pictures here - the clouds were big and added a nice dynamic to the pictures, with the sun peeking in and out it was fun.

Finally, after about 100 miles I made it to Chiricahua National Monument! The first thing I see is a heard of deer, which pose nicely for a minute while I take some pictures but then runaway.

Once in the park I stop at the visitors center to buy a magnet (of course) and ask the ranger advice for a first-timer. She told me to drive to the top, look around and if I were to do one hike to do Echo Canyon Trail. I did as she said, enjoying the scenery but not the narrow mountain roads.

At Massai Point I took the nature trail where I met some very nice people who took my picture after I took theirs. We chatted a little, then they moved on and I took a few more pictures, waiting for the sun, who every few minutes showed itself. It was incredibly beautiful! Reminds me a lot of Bryce canyon - just different rocks and maybe not so vivid, but still amazing.


It was freezing cold! I started out with a jean jacket but before hiking Echo Canyon I dug out a sweater and gloves from my trunk - am glad I came prepared! The first stop walking down in the canyon is the Grotto. I set up my baby tripod for this picture, it was a fun area.


Again using the tripod I took this picture - the rock formations are so interesting. You can look in all directions and still not see it all. There were fallen rocks, balancing rocks, holes in rocks and so much more. I also walked along a tiny stream with numerous trickling waterfalls, and through green lush woods.


Once out of the canyon - with no larger mishaps than having to fish my lens cap out of a frigid stream - I made the decision to backtrack toward the park entrance, get a few pictures of the more famous rock formations, then head back up to the top for sunset pictures. I saw Pipe Organ, China Boy, and the Sea Captain (my favorite! He really does look like a sea captain).


Back up on top I decided to do the Sugarloaf Mountain Hike and see if that would be better for sunset pictures than Massai point. The hike was just under two miles round trip - but the first half was up - so it wasn't cake! I loved the view from the top so stayed (and froze) taking pictures and eating dinner while I waited for the sun to sink. It was amazing! I was hoping for some more color in the clouds but even without it was still beautiful. But then I had to hurry down the mountain before I lost all light and freaked myself out with every little sound. I whistled to the birds to keep company! Once in the car I headed out - I was hoping to see more wildlife - but learned to "be careful what you hope for" because before I was off the windy mountain roads, I turned a corner and almost ran into a skunk!
The ride back was quick, but I was tired - so I talked to all my sisters - who are in California together without me (so sad), but I am glad they had a good visit together. I made it back to Tucson and gratefully found my way to my bed after a peaceful but strenuous day.

Map of the park.

No comments: