Sunday, May 17, 2009

California Weekend!

A while back I randomly bumped into Saundra Lamb while both of our wards (though 100 miles apart) were doing the same temple grounds service project. She told me she was going home for Mother's Day weekend if I wanted a ride. I couldn't think of a better way to spend Mother's Day and was very excited!
After I got off work on Friday I drove to her place in Scottsdale, where Saundra, her roommate Kelly and I set off for California. It was a fun ride, we had a few "U" turns around midnight, but that just added to the fun. We got to the Lamb's around 2 a.m. and I took Scott's truck to his and Beth's house. Needless to say I was tired, but that didn't stop me from doing one of my favorite things in California - watching Saturday morning cartoons with the boys. William always gets up early so I knew that sleeping on the couch I wouldn't be able to sleep-in. I can't feel to bad for myself because I woke up just enough to see Scott leave for work before 6, this is the busy season so he has been working crazy hours. Sarah would have, but she took the day off because I was coming!
I did a lot of my favorite things that Saturday - We had homemade waffles for breakfast. I took pictures of the boys, we went shopping and we just hung out. Dad sent us money to have a nice dinner - we got some Panda Express and Beth and Sarah made lettuce wraps! Yummm!
Sarah has been working long hours but had promised Thomas a sand rail cake - Friday night she made the cakes, Saturday night she carved them and frosted them. She put the cars on and set it up on Scott's gigantic gun safe. Beth, Sarah and I were all upstairs talking when we heard something fall... when we went down stairs we found that the top of the cake (which sadly I had not taken pictures of yet) had fallen over. Beth and I sent the exhausted Sarah to bed and did our best to repair it. We didn't put the cars back on - but in the morning Thomas beat us to it, by climbing on the TV he added the cars. After we tried to fix that up - Sam took the cars and made them all pop wheelies. The cake by this time was in a sorry state - but had survived and the boys loved it.

Sunday was Mother's Day - but Scott and Sarah both had to work so they couldn't help us celebrate. Sarah had stayed up to make a cookie flower bouquet for Beth and in the morning I had the boys put together one flower each to add it to the rest - I also had them sign a card. We made a big deal out of keeping it a secret and they thought it was the funnest thing to try and hide it behind them, and close the doors before Beth could see. We also had Beth's favorite breakfast - french toast. The boys ate left-over waffles instead. After getting ready for church we took some pictures and gave Beth her flowers and card.



After church we went to the Lamb's where we had a nice chicken dinner. Lamb Chops called it a day, so Sarah and Scott were able to come! I can't forget the cake and ice cream - I will say that adults were served a different cake! We almost had catastrophe number four when Thomas blew out his candles - he leaned over the nearest one to get the far one and almost caught on fire - we could have just added it to Thomas' many accomplishments of life. So many and so young.

We played outside for awhile...
We bought a Frisbee yesterday and I told William I would play with him. We tossed it back and forth with all the Lamb boys. We had a lot of fun until Dozer got out - then like magic all the boys were in the back of Brandon's truck in a few seconds. Thomas wanted to play too - but the big boys never threw it to him.
Thomas got a bike for his birthday from Keith and Mickey. So when we got back to Beth and Scott's we got the bikes out. Sam got a new bike too (a very late birthday gift). Beth and Scott set to work - William needed a new seat - Chopper ate the last one, Sam needed the training wheels off. We then enjoyed the nice evening - watching the boys on their bikes, William and I threw the Frisbee (I tell you he is addicted!)...
Beth got chopper out to enjoy the family time too...
That night Ryan got his first taste of solid foods...
Monday morning William and I played Frisbee before he went to school. Ryan had a doctors appointment so I watched Thomas and Sam. We went to the park and watched the movie Bolt(very cute).
Then we met Mickey, Saundra and Kelly for a Mexican lunch! Then us Arizonians headed back east. I got back to Tucson around midnight - and went straight to bed! I think I could use a few days off to recover from my vacation!

3 comments:

Lambfam said...

i'm a little biased but i love it.

Amanda C said...

Looks like a fun trip. Thanks for taking pics of Beth's kids (since she doesn't update her blog very often). Little Ryan is a cutie pie!

Sassy Sis--Saundra said...

Thanks for driving the last stretch, you're great! I have your purple water bottle. Would you like me to mail it to you?
Your pics turned out great!