For the last few weeks I have been back at the CDO North Campus Special Needs Preschool. I did a long term subbing job in classroom one last year for a few months - I am finishing out this year in classroom two. My morning class is autistic children 3-5 years old. I have enjoyed working with them so much but have found it a challenge - it is a good thing too because I was going soft! The afternoon class is also 3-5 but they have a variety of needs ranging from downs syndrome to speech impairments. They have been so much fun to teach - I was able to get out a lot of my preschool songs and lesson plans and use them with this group. We did zoo one week and oceans this week. For zoo week one of the other classroom teachers organized a zoo outreach to come to us with some animals - it was a really fun day! We just had to do constant hand sanitizing and watching of the kids. One little boy started making high pitched whines when the skink and the snake were pulled out and had to sit in a chair about ten feet away to feel more comfortable but no break-downs and no broken animals so we were totally good.

Ocean theme was my favorite - we had boat races, sang ocean songs, became sailors and went to sea in a boat with hats and spy glasses. We made shell imprints with play dough, read books and played games. It was a great week!

No comments:
Post a Comment