Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Day Three - Wednesday


Really? I found this a minister's office and in this case he was quite right - literally.

Here we go - another day in Cemeteries (I'm not sure I am ready to call that paradise.)
Salem Strayers Union Church



Paradise Evangelical Lutheran Church

The old Paradise church and Cemetery
Here is where Paradise comes in - you see we were in Paradise (who know it would be PA?) Paradise is a small, quite town with very helpful minister and group of elderly ladies. Robin found some ancestors in the cemetery by the new church and Aunt Louise found direction to the next cemetery - I guess they both found what they were looking for in Paradise. I got to take pictures there, so I am happy with Paradise.

Pleasant Hill Cemetery - Church of the Brethern

Paradise and Pleasant - I am starting to see a trend with the names here. I hope that all those that are buried here agree. To me - honestly- after today I couldn't tell the difference between any of them.

Old Cemetery by the Pleasant Hill Cemetery
I don't really know who this was, but thought it looked neat, and as we didn't find anyone else at this cemetery - at least I don't think we did - I took this picture.
St. Paul's (Wolfs) Evangelical Covenant Church


Harrisburg

We headed up to Harrisburg after lunch, we are looking for some names for a neighbor in Pinedale, the above picture is the Historical Society, but it is also the former home of John Harris Jr. The grave below is on the banks of the Susquehanna River, it is for John Harris Sr. He started a ferry and a trading post in the early 1700's. He is where the Harris in Harrisburg comes from.
Taking our lives in our hands we drove around the crazy Harrisburg capital to see the capital building. It was huge and it had a pink fountain, yes that is right, that is not Photoshop, it is pink! Yuck - but hey, whatever. I found that I am not a big fan of this crazy city, small streets, loads of people going everywhere, construction and one-ways. But maybe if it hadn't been rush hour and if we had known the area better it might have been better, but honestly after the beauty of the rest of PA, I don't care if I ever make it back to Harrisburg to give it a second chance.

The one part of the city I did like - loved is better- is the Susquehanna River, and Front St. that runs along it. I left Aunt Louise in the Historical Society office, they didn't need me, I couldn't really help so I went for a short walk along the street- it was interesting to see this river with all of its bridges and islands- by Arizona standers it is a huge river!

Back to York for us where Robin fixed us a Pennsylvania Dutch dinner. We had hot rolls with King syrup, apple sauce, pork, potatoes and sauerkraut. I wasn't sure if I would like the sauerkraut or not, I wasn't even sure what was in it, but I really did like it, I will have to try it out on Grandma and Grandpa, it is right up their alley.

No comments: