Saturday, January 23, 2010

Birthday Hike

Because I was gone from Tucson on my actual birthday I celebrated with my friends when I got back. On January 9th 2010 a group of us started for Picacho, including Tim and Rosa who came down to Tucson for the weekend. We didn't get far from our meeting spot when we found that we couldn't get on the I10 because a semi-truck had been cut in two by a train. It was crazy! Thankfully no one was hurt- just empty yogurt cups! A few of us backed out and headed to Tangerine, while the rest tried backtracking to Orange Grove. We found out later that there was already an accident on the free-way which caused the back-up and the truck to be stopped on the tracks, apparently a cop waved him on and then he couldn't move, anyway so the cars that tried to go back to Orange Grove got stuck in even worse traffic. We on the other hand had an adventure off-roading it to get to Tangerine.

Tim, Rosa, Tom, and I met Scott at the peak and started up without everyone, Tim and Rosa had to go then or not at all. So we got to the top and enjoyed the scenery (It is amazing - you are on top of highest point for miles, all around you there is flat valley floors leading up to other mountains). Tim and Rosa left after an hour or so, and we were joined by the others.

The first group (bottom right picture) Tom, me, Rosa, Tim and Scott.
The Big group (Top left picture) Standing: Scott S., Tom F., Jessica K., Greg C., Danielle H., Shaun H., Me, David I., Sitting: Nikki L., Holly S., Ben I., and Bryce A.
After enjoying the view for a while longer and taking a lot of pictures we hiked back down, using the cables and poles provided!
Once back at the bottom and in our cars we headed back to Tucson and hit up Ihop for pancakes. The waiters even brought me ice cream and sang happy birthday and let me blow out a lighter because they didn't have candles I guess- which was fun but not as much as when I got to Deanna's house and she and Stephanie had made a cake for me! It was so cute and I got to blow out the candles and get sung to again. Cake and games ended a great day thanks to my friends and family!

Perfect birthday for me because this morning Tim, Rosa and I had cereal for breakfast, then did some shopping and had French Toast for lunch. With the crapes that I had for dinner I had breakfast for ALL THREE MEALS!!! And I love breakfast foods!

No comments: